First Aid Treatment for Household Cleaning Product Poisoning

Household cleaning products contain strong chemicals and substances that can cause significant harm. Cleaning products may be accidentally swallowed (for example, by a child attracted by the bright colors of the product). Alternatively, cleaning products can splash onto the skin or into the eyes.

Signs and Symptoms of Household Cleaning Product Poisoning

◾ Vomiting

◾ Abdominal pain

◾ Burns

◾ Eye irritation

◾ Loss of vision

◾ Seizures

◾ Difficulty in breathing

First Aid Treatment for Household Cleaning Product Poisoning

1. Ensure the scene is safe for you to approach; do not expose yourself to the poison.

2. Try to determine what product the victim has come in contact with.

3. Call EMS if the victim appears unwell, has a seizure, is having trouble breathing, or is unconscious.

4. Otherwise, contact your local poison control center for advice.

5. If the poison has contaminated the eye, wash the eye with running water for at least fifteen to twenty minutes.

6. If the poison has contaminated the skin, remove any affected clothing and wash the area with running water for at least twenty minutes.

7. Ensure any runoff water from eye or skin washing is directed away from you and the victim.

Contacting Poison Control

In the United States you can contact the National Poison Help Hotline by calling 1-800-222-1222. The service is free and available twenty-four hours a day.

Don't Induce Vomiting

Do not induce vomiting unless specifically advised to do so by a medical professional or your local poison control center. Inducing vomiting may cause further damage to the victim's digestive tract when the poison is brought back up.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE