First Aid Treatment for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is a highly toxic gas generated by the incomplete burning of fuels such as coal, wood, and gas. Examples of situations that may generate carbon monoxide include campfires that haven't been put out properly and faulty boilers. The gas has no smell or taste, so it is very difficult to detect. Carbon monoxide poisoning is fatal, acts rapidly, and is responsible for about four hundred deaths a year in the United States.

Signs and Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

◾ Headache

◾ Dizziness

◾ Vomiting

◾ Confusion

◾ Reduced level of consciousness

First Aid Treatment for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

1. Immediately call EMS and inform the 911 operator about the risk of carbon monoxide gas.

2. Do not enter a situation where you may put yourself at risk of carbon monoxide exposure.

3. If safe to do so, instruct the victim to move away from the potential source of carbon monoxide and into fresh air.

4. If the victim is unconscious and not breathing normally, update EMS and commence cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if safe to do so.

5. Provide reassurance and monitor vital signs until emergency medical help arrives.

Protect Your Family with a Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Carbon monoxide gas is invisible and has no smell. This makes the gas deadly and difficult to detect. You can protect yourself by investing in a carbon monoxide alarm at home, especially if you have an open fire or generator.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE